Tuesday, March 11, 2008

For My Dog Loving Friends

I get a newsletter from the makers of "Wellness" cat food, that is what Jazzy eats, she has a sensitive tummy & has to eat food that is more natural, not so much "stuff" in it..... well, I saw this in the newsletter & thought I'd share it with all of my dog loving buddies out there. #5 is probably more for the kitty lovers, but I suppose a puppy could eat something like that! :) We all have heard about not giving dogs chocolate but this tells us why & gives us a few other item that aren't good for them either....

HUMAN SNACKS & TREATS TO WATCH OUT FOR

5 Dangerous Ones to Watch! In general, we do not advocate frequent or excessive feeding of human snack food to your four-legged family member. Typically, "people snacks" do not meet the pet’s nutritional needs, may unbalance a previously balanced diet and may have detrimental side effects. Individual animals can have food intolerances to specific ingredients or foods, just like their owners. Any food that is normally not included in a pet’s daily intake, or whose consumption amount varies considerably, could also cause gastrointestinal upset.Here is a list of 5 items pet owners should be especially cautious of:

1. Xylitol – This sweetener is used in sugar free chewing gums and candies, and is available in a powdered form for use in baking. In people, this five carbon sugar alcohol is used in diabetic dietetics and does not impact insulin levels. However, xylitol is a strong promoter of insulin release in dogs leading to hypoglycemia. Common presenting clinical signs in affected dogs include vomiting, weakness, ataxia, seizures, and collapse. In 2007 ACVIM Research Abstracts, Dr. Lyman and Dr. Bichsel discussed toxic effects seen with ingestion of 150 mg xylitol/ kg of body weight; consisting of hypoglycemia and hepatic failure. That is about 680 mg xylitol for a 10 pound dog. (A teaspoon of xylitol weighs about 5 grams)

2. Macadamia Nuts – Macadamia nuts consumption by dogs has been associated with toxic clinical signs consisting of hind leg weakness, depression and tremors. However, no mortality has been reported.

3. Grapes & Raisins – Grape and raisin ingestion has been reported to cause renal toxicity in dogs. The specific mechanism is not known with clinical pathologic findings related to acute renal failure.

4. Chocolate – Another beloved human treat that can make pets ill. It can contain high levels of fat, and methylxanthine. The darker the chocolate, the higher the potential for clinical problems, which include vomiting, diarrhea, panting, increased thirst and urination, arrhythmias, and tremors/seizures. According to ASPCA Poison Control, "As little as 20 ounces of milk chocolate or 2 ounces of baking chocolate can cause problems for a 10 pound dog."

5. Easter Basket Grass – Although not exactly a human snack, this festive artificial turf surrounding candy and goodies is especially attractive to kittens. It is often played with and eaten and can cause intestinal obstruction or act as a linear foreign body.

2 comments:

adityaw said...

I've barely read what is inside my dog's food. But, this is a great information. Thanks for sharing.

Bubblesknits said...

I accidentally left down a bag of chocolate chips when I was a kid. Our 10lb dog ate 1/4 of the bag. *cringes* Thankfully she was okay. Thanks for reminding me about the Easter grass!