Saturday, January 26, 2008

Doldrums Dishcloth Swap TOTW #2

There are many people who ADORE receiving hand-knit or crochet items; but there are just as many who have no appreciation whatever of how much love, work, and time goes into a hand-made item. Share a story of a hand-made gift you gave to someone and how it worked out - good, bad, or ugly!

Ok, the one that has always stuck in my mind and just won't go away.... sorry Mom, I have to tell on you!!! :P

I learned to crochet before I learned to knit.... the first year I was a crocheting fool, I did an afghan for all of my female relatives for Christmas that year! I think I did 14 of them!!! Well, when Mom opened hers the words out of her mouth were: "I don't need any more blankets...", not to worry, you won't get another one from me!!! I know that sounds harsh but whether you like my gift or not you should at least be polite and say thank you, it's lovely.... wait till I'm gone before you shove it in the back of some closet!! :) It's just plain old good manners if you ask me!!

I am really careful of who I gift with my handmade items now..... If I know the person just doesn't appreciate handmade items I won't put the effort into it. Which I think is sad, because I would LOVE to receive a handmade item from someone. I know the thought that goes into choosing just the right pattern, just the right yarn, all the effort that goes into creating the item, whether knit, crocheted or other hand crafted item, and all the love that goes into each piece. That is why I like doing these swaps, I know that my swap partner truly appreciates what I send..... unlike some of my family members!! ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You gotta' be kidding! Your MOM said that?! I agree though... I'm very selective about where my time and "talents" go to live.